E-learning solutions comparative study
As an e-learning consultant, I advise corporate companies on e-learning solutions. The market is rich and the needs vary from one organisation to the other. Reason why any comparative study is necessarily impossible if we consider it a universal template for all judgements.In this study, I tried to workaround that biais by proposing a ponderation grid where you can change the importance of criteria in your particular context.
- First news : the market is mature, with plenty of rich and valuable products (I had to select only a few, apologies to all the others).
- Second news : open source products compete with commercial ones... at least from two viewpoints : (a) when we consider the full set of criteria, including their costs and internationalization advantages, they compete. (b) on functional aspects, their wide communities helping develop plugins and new features, with the risk of providing too much and loosing interface clarity.
- Third news : Dokeos prooves the best open source and competes with Articulate at top position.
The full study is available as an Excel spreadsheet below. I see this document as a template where you can change the weight of the various criteria and make your own decision.
To download the study, click here

12 Comments:
Thank you for a nice overview.
Best regards,
SCREENSAILOR
Hi, the excel isn't working. Can you public it again.
Thanks.
IsaĆas Braga
Hi, interesting thanks.
Other analysis, less detailed but still interesting, can be found on :
http://www.innovativelearningtechnologies.com/?page_id=8
Andy
A moodle disciple (aka moodle.com partner) seems to think you are just putting fake data in an excel spreadsheet. See post at the link below...press "Login as a guest" when promoted.
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=104411
Blogged about here:
http://www.moodleus.org/blog/?p=223
Thanks for this. Quite complete and accurate. I use Articulate Presenter. Certainly the simplest authoring tool ever. Articulate Online looks promising too : http://www.articulate.com/products/articulate-online.php : looks a learning management system to publish courses made with Presenter.
I don't get the point of previous comment. How can an evaluation be different than one or more persons expressing their viewpoint on a dedicated topic + listing their criteria?
Sorry, when you put dokeos so high it is because you don't know it. Services are expensive, updating is a problem, a lot of tools are not so well down, bad program code,sorry this survey is not correct... You compare things that shouldn't be compared... Reload is something else than LMS etc.
this is a coder's perspective. From a user perspective Dokeos is the simplest to use and for this reason the most professional.
thanks for your anonymous reply, we are not only coders, but also users, supporting dokeos installations. You know as me that dokeos is in full split and has poor qualities for future...
in my e-learning project, I need to build Articulate content and then interact with employees on their progress. For this, the Articulate ease of use + Dokeos SCORM import + detailed reporting + sophisticated interaction with the learner do the job. I would appreciate however to get more documentation on the compliance of Dokeos with other rapid learning tools : Captivate, Lectora, eXe etc.
We recently started using dokeos and so far we are very unhappy with it.
It looks good on paper and when you first look at it, it leaves a good impression when it comes to features and user friendliness.
That is, until you actually try using it and run into all sorts of weird bugs. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone and I'm looking for something to replace it already.
Hi,
Dokeos is great. We are using it on a wide scale here now and with the online authoring no need to buy an expensive Articulate or Captivate license. PLUS : you can collaborate online in the authoring, which provides acceleration of your processes.
Post a Comment
<< Home